Friday, October 31, 2008

Early Morning

There are many facets of having a roommate that I've had to adjust to over the course of the semester. Since my roomie is a cheerleader here, she has a different morning schedule than I do (cheer practice 3 times a week at 7 am).

Luckily, I'm a morning person. I love to get up early and be ALONE. I usually allow myself an hour and a half (at least) in the morning to get ready for the day, do a devotional, etc. Well even with my hour and a half of "me" time, I still am not up by 5:45.

Meaning I have to incur the wrath of my roommates alarm clock. You see, when I hear an alarm clock go off my first instinct is to wake up...completely. Not press snooze after it has already gone off for 5 minutes, and then listen to it go off in another 10 minutes. It's torture some mornings listening to her alarm go off when I know I am missing out on another 45 minutes to an hour of prime sleep. But I'm learning to deal, and it is probably making me a better person. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself.

The odd thing is, lately I have had the opposite problem.

Out of courtesy, whenever one of us is sleeping while the other is getting ready, we typically get ready in the dark (unless turning on the light is a necessity). Over time, I have learned how to choose an outfit, brush my teeth, put in my contacts AND put on make up with only a dim closet light guiding my way. The only problem is, lately I keep thinking she's in bed when she isn't! Today I got completely ready in the dark and didn't even realize she wasn't in there until she told me about it this afternoon! And that's the second time this week!

It's kinda funny to think about. Part of me wonders if God was looking down from heaven and chuckling as I balanced the mirror in my closet drawer and made feeble attempts at applying mascara. I imagine it would look ridiculous if people knew I was the only one in there trying not to wake up my sleeping ghost of a roommate.

2 comments:

Marie said...

oh my. sounds like me and my roommate. ha. she is hilarious though. of course, i usually dont laugh until much later as i often represent satan in the morning. anyway, i too am very skilled at getting ready in the dark.

Anonymous said...

DA and i get read in the dark out of courtesy too. We usually turn on the bathroom light and leave the door open tho to give some sort of glow. There's only one day a week tho that I get ready before him, so i've never had the issue of getting ready in the dark and then realizing he's not there. Your story made the both of us laugh tho