Monday, October 13, 2008

Patriot Patrol

A couple of weeks ago, there was an "unfortunate incident" that occurred on the normally pure, green grass of Dallas Baptist University. I am not under any false allusions about the security of this campus. It's ridiculously safe. Recently a friend of mine referred to as a "convent"... a statement that I thought was befitting of it's fenced-in-safe-and-warm feel. There is a campus wide curfew on weeknights and weekends, and there are only two entry points for the entire campus. It would seem virtually impossible to sneak onto campus and commit a crime in the wee hours of the morning. But, that doesn't mean students can not commit crimes against one another. The specific incident I'm referring to was one which included hate, vandalism and a very "unpatriotic spirit". A solider (and student) on campus had his car completely trashed and covered in sayings such as "soldiers are murderers!". Needless to say, everyone was outraged when they found out. Our picturesque, little campus had never encountered anything like this.

I write all this because though it bothered me that someone would do that, I wasn't all that surprised. It is, after all, a college campus. There are bound to be a few "rebellious" youth out looking for trouble and ways to cause havoc. However, not once have I ever felt unsafe at DBU. Actually, I have never felt safer than I do when I'm locked away atop my little "campus on a hill".

I have always viewed our security guards as a bit of a joke. After all, all they do 98% of the time is write parking tickets. But after the "incident" new extremes were taken to ensure the safety of DBU students everywhere. In addition to the already over-the-top security lock-down they have us on, we now have bicycle cops. Yea, security guards on wheels. Apparently our huge security trucks that they drive around campus are simply inadequate when compared to the rising crime rate. What I don't understand is why they would choose bicycles. Seriously? I can't think of anything less intimidating than a bicycle...they might as well have chosen scooters. How does a bicycle help them? Will it get them into places they couldn't get by truck going faster than they would on foot? When the big, bad DBU crime lords are tearing up campus, is the bicycle really going to be what makes the difference?

If the security office would have asked my opinion, I would have readily given it to them. But sadly, they did not, and now we will all have to live in fear of the patriot patrol.

P.S. As I'm writing this, I can hear sirens in the distance... seriously.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my brother got a speeding ticket from a cop on a bicycle. i still lose sleep at night over this

Anonymous said...

You'd be surprised how intimidating bicycles can be to would-be criminals.