Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Quirks

Today I've been thinking a lot about quirks. I mean, we've all got 'em...right? Lord knows my roommates have them! What even qualifies something as a quirk? Does it have to be weird? Does it have to be unique?

All I know is that I love getting a glimpse of people's weird quirks (especially the unexpected ones!). So without further ado, here are some of my own:

  1. Most of you probably already know this, but I really don't like for people to touch me unnecessarily. Example: Today I was sitting at my desk at work and an acquaintance/friend came up behind me and rubbed my shoulders for a couple seconds. Completely unnecessary and unpleasant. To add insult to injury, it was a boy. Double gross.
  2. I have this compulsive desire to always be on time...even if "on time" to me means 15 minutes late. Once I have a set time I think I need to be somewhere, that's what time you can expect me. DD.
  3. I could eat frozen berries by the gallon. I think I've had them every day since I've been up at school. Regular berries aren't as good...they've gotta be frozen.
  4. I feel like this is a common one, but even though I can text all day and night, chances are I'm still going to be a complete train-wreck on the phone.
  5. I'd rather be barefoot. All. The. Time. Example: I was reading an article the other day about how all men who agree with the complementarian viewpoint probably have wives that are "barefoot and pregnant" all the time... which made me laugh, because that's exactly what I want out of life ;)
  6. I type out my thoughts on my leg (or whatever is closest). I'm pretty sure this makes me look crazy, but I usually don't notice when I'm doing it.
  7. I don't brush my hair unless I have to. At most I'll do it once a week.
  8. I learned to read by sight-reading (instead of phonetically) and because of it I am HORRIBLE at spelling, I skip letters/words when I read, and I have a terrible time with pronunciations.
  9. To this day, I still hold on to the grocery cart when I go to the super-market. Especially if I'm with my Mom. Old habits die hard...
  10. Even if my entire body is still, chances are my tongue is still moving. I used to play games as a kid (counting things using my tongue on the inside of my mouth, etc etc), so now I can't help it.
  11. I crack my back every night before I go to sleep. First I twist to the right, then to the left.
  12. I always eat ice-cream out of a mug. If I'm really craving it I'll go for a glass.
  13. The only place I'm ticklish is on the back of my neck, and even then it takes a skilled hand...
  14. Even though I'm am optimist, I always play out worst case scenarios in my head. Not the typical "what if mamaw died...", it's more like a visual image of what would happen if I fell off a motorcycle. On the freeway. Without a helmet.
  15. This is more of a Black Death quirk, but I always assign characters in movies (and sometimes books) to people I know.
  16. I always fold my trash if I can (as opposed to rumpling it up).

So there you have it. I probably have more, but I figured these would suffice!

P.S. Feel free to leave some of your quirks in the comments :)

3 comments:

Marie said...

1. I am not working on Civ, but instead, I am reading your blog.
2. I knew all of these. I am such a good bffae.
3. Number 14 made me literally laugh out loud... then cringe a little. Ha. nicely done.
4. You hate being touched unnecessarily, and I know this fact, but I still do it all the time. Oops.
5. This made me really happy. I like when you blog.
6. Time to go be a good student

Unknown said...

HA, I used to do the same thing on ten. although i would use my tongue to touch my teeth. and only count by twos. it became a compulsive habit that i couldn't stop. I had to consciously tell my self to stop doing it. I'm glad you had a similar quirk

Molly R said...

Haahahha. Number 1. GIIIRRRRL. I am so with you :):)


1. I ALWAYS have a song stuck in my head. No matter what. There is always a song kind of playing at least in the background, kind of like having an internal iPod. But there's pretty much nothing I can do get rid of it!
2. For me, it's not the tongue, it's either my toes, fingers, or the muscles in my leg. That sounds really weird. But like, when I'm just sitting and listening, I tap my fingers/toes/muscles to the beat of the song, or to match up with the words. None of that makes sense. I could explain it better in words, haha.
3. I do the same thing with visualizing worst scenarios. It always happens for me whenever I'm leaning on a car door inside the car - I always imagine that the door will just fling open and I'll fly out and die. Haha.
4. YOUR NUMBER FOUR. BAREFOOT AND PREGNANT. MY GOAL IN LIFE. :) hahahahaha. I'm just so glad that you put that one. I'm with you 100%.
5. For me, not being on time is a huge fear of mine. I have dreams about not being on time and wake up crying.
6. The idea of cookie dough makes me want to barf.


Okay that's it for now :) Glad we're friends!