Saturday, September 20, 2008

Ten

So I have decided to compile ten of my favorite scriptures. Trust me this list could be much longer, but for the sake of time and my fingers, I'm only going to list ten. I know this list will be constantly changing and evolving, but for now, these are ten that stick out, that have meant something to me at certain times in my life, or are just way too awesome to keep to myself...


10. Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus the founder and perfecter of our faith who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.
Hebrews 12:1-2
9. Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
James 1:2-4
8. Though you have not seen Him, you love Him. Though you do not now see Him, you believe in Him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory...
1 Peter 1:8
7. But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
2 Corinthians 12:9-10
6. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
John 1:4-5
5. "...Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold I am with you always, to the end of the age."
Matthew 28:19-20
4. Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long.
Psalm 25: 4-5
3. "The Lord is my portion," says my soul, "therefore I will hope in Him." The Lord is good to those that wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him.
Lamentations 3:24-25
2. "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart."
Jeremiah 29:11-13
1. Then I said, "Ah, Lord God! Behold, I do not know how to speak, for I am only a youth." But the Lord said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a youth'; for to all to whom I send you, you shall go, and whatever I command you, you shall speak..."
Jeremiah 1:6-7
There are others that I would have put but they wouldn't have made sense out of context or without an explanation, so I'm leaving it at this :)
And for whatever reason, I'm really in to lists today...there are probably more to come. ha.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite passage used to be Hosea 14, but it loses most of its power without the context. Still cool though:

"Take with you words, and turn to the Lord: say unto him, Take away all iniquity, and receive us graciously: so will we render the calves of our lips.
Asshur shall not save us; we will not ride horses, neither will we say any more of the work of our hands. You are our God, for in thee the fatherless find mercy.

I will heal their backsliding, I will love them lavishly, for my anger is turned away from him. I will be as the dew unto Israel, he shall grow as the lily and cast forth his roots as Lebanon. His branches shall spread, and his beauty shall be as the olive, and his smell as Lebanon.

...

Ephraim shall say, What have I to do with these idols? I heard him, and observed him; I am like an evergreen. From me thy fruit is found.

Who is wise, that he may understand these things? prudent, that he may know them? for the ways of YHWH are right, and the just shall walk in them..."

I'm almost positive I mixed up my translations there. No one ever loved me for my memory.