Sunday, December 14, 2008

Here's to you...

Many Ginobili: My favorite all time basketball player, personal hero and potential spouse. I have been drawn to you since I saw you play your rookie year in one of many Spurs Championship games. Honestly, it was you that opened my eyes to the greatness that is The Spurs. Your hustle and aggressive playing style has served you well, taking you from an unknown Argentinian ball player to an NBA Champion and Olympic Champion. I will never get tired of defending you and cheering for you. To me, you are the epitome of basketball and everything I would ever want in a player.



Matt Bonner: My favorite redheaded player. I love you because you remind me of myself. My heart soars when you actually get to play. Though most people probably don't know who you are, I will always be your number one fan. Your physical mentality in the paint and excellent 3-point percentage has made you an excellent contributor (when you actually get in the game). But hey, I don't care that you don't play a lot... I'm content to see your red hair sitting along your teammates offering encouragement and relief when you can. I like to think if I was a NBA player I would be you.



Fabricio Oberto: My second favorite Argentinean. You my friend, are a grease monkey, but your powerful play in the post has been tremendous these past few seasons on the Spurs. You came into the NBA a virtual unknown from Argentina and I have watched you blossom in to a smarter and more agile player. I am always impressed by your heads-up play and determined mindset. Even when I'm angry at stupid mistakes you make I know you were a great investment. I have no doubt you will continue to grow into an excellent ball player.



Steve Nash: My little buddy. I hate when The Spurs play The Suns because I respect you so much. Your quickness is unmatched and I am hard-pressed to think of anyone who's basketball knowledge and passing skills can match yours. Even though you are in your mid 30s, you can outplay any 20 year old put in your path. You are so fundamentally sound it's scary...watching you play reminds me of why I love basketball.



Chris Paul: You are one crazy little ball of fury. You have taken The Hornets from virtually unknown to Championship contenders. I admire your determination and hard work. It's not everyday a rookie can carry his team farther than they've ever gone before. It's hard not to be a Chris Paul fan when you play basketball the way you do and still manage to keep your attitude in check. I have high hopes for you mister...



Beno Udrih: Oh Beno...where do I begin? You are another player that is vastly underestimated. Not only are you a lefty, which for whatever reason is a big plus in my book, but you are also from Yugoslavia. How cool is that? I first noticed your awesomeness your first season on The Spurs... and even though I can't claim you anymore, you still hold a special place in my heart.



Dwayne Wade: You are one of the few "big hype" players I bought in to. I'm not going to lie, I like that you seem to be a genuine good guy that doesn't let his ego get to him. You took The Heat to new heights and even though it didn't last forever, I have no doubt that you will do great things (regardless of your team).



Tim Duncan: I love me some Timmy. You are one of the quietest superstars on the court today. I have no doubt that The Spurs would be minus quite a few championships if you hadn't been on the court. I have watched entire games before I realized how much you've impacted it, and believe me, I mean that in the best way possible. Please don't ever get old.




Shane Battier: Now that Mutombo is retired, you reign as my favorite Rocket. I love your hustle and smart play but most of all I love that you give me a reason to cheer for The Rockets. You single handedly redeem them.



Rasheed Wallace: Oh Rasheed...I don't even know where to begin. You are the most ridiculous, foul mouthed, insane player and for whatever reason, I can't help but love you. You always make me laugh, but I still respect your great play on the court. I would never want my children to imitate you, yet I find myself wishing every team had their own Rasheed to shake things up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I almost fell out of my chair when you said "grease monkey."

Maybe I should do this with my favorite authors, or favorite philosophers or something. If I listed my favorite sports icons, I'm sure I'd get pummelled by Marie (I'd probably put members of the Dallas Cowboys on there).

Danielle said...

OH, please do your favorite authors! That would be tight.

Marie said...

I am glad I started such a trend. Danielle I thoroughly enjoyed this! Andrew, I would hurt you if you gave any positive credit to the cowboys...but I'm all for the author idea.