Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Closing time.

16 more days, 2.5 more weeks and only a couple of finals stand in the way of me and the end of my first semester here. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I have hated it here or anything, but when all is said and done, I will be glad when this semester is over and behind me. It has been challenging in ways I hadn't anticipated and rewarding in ways I couldn't have imagined.

All that to say that now that the school year is winding down, I have decided to write down some of the things I have learned in my first semester of life at DBU. Enjoy!

  • Never judge a book by it's cover. A great example of this would be my roomie...all the hot pink, pom pom waving and makeup had me hesitant at first, but she turned out to be one of the best possible roommates I could have gotten. We get along great, and as ridiculous as she is, I love her.
  • I am naturally really optimistic. If there is a silver lining to be found, I WILL find it.
  • God always provides, but rarely in the way I expect.
  • I love learning about scripture. If I could take all Religion classes, and no core courses...I would.
  • I thoroughly enjoy being spontaneous.
  • College exams really aren't as hard as people make them out to be...or at least the ones I've had thus far haven't been too bad.
  • There is nothing like sitting outside by yourself. It's a rare treat, but it's really refreshing and peaceful.
  • Absence really does make the heart grow fonder.
  • Tofu will never be good...I don't care how you prepare it or what you serve it with.
  • Working in the "typical" office as a student worker is really boring.
  • I REALLY hate talking on the phone, especially to international students. Judge me all you want, it stinks.
  • Using the weekends to catch up on all the sleep I missed during the week is FAWSOME*.
  • I love teaching and sharing with other people about the bible. But I'm still working on what people I'm allowed to teach. I should probably stick to kiddos.
  • Usually things are more complicated than I would like them to be.
  • Cafeteria food gets old REAL fast.
  • Being on a beautiful campus makes me happy.
  • I love that all my classes are "Christ-centered".
  • I study best early in the morning.
  • Real work NEVER gets done if I'm in bed.
  • College life is great and all, but I'm really excited that I get to graduate and be an adult in a few short years.
  • I NEED alone time sometimes, but I am miserable if I'm alone when I don't want to be.
  • I really took for granted having a car and going places whenever I wanted.
  • Some things (like shopping) are much more enjoyable when done alone.
  • I might have a learning disorder. I'm still deciding if it's legit.
  • Hot chocolate makes me feel really good about life.
  • Skipping class as a reward is excellent. But getting carried away and skipping too many is not.
  • Freshman chapel stinks (the other two chapels during the week are usually really good).
  • I miss being able to cook!
  • I will never be one of those people that stresses about grades all the time...but I usually end up feeling guilty that I'm not concerned about them.
  • Studying at the library is prime. But I get really upset when people are not completely silent.

*Fawsome: adjective, a term coined by Ernie Halter. It means freaking awesome...obviously.
Judge me if you must. Daniel will understand ;)

No comments: