Thursday, November 13, 2008

#5: The "hallelujah" moan

I don't know what it is about DBU, but I have heard more moaning since I've been here than ever before. It's completely ridiculous... and frankly, I hate it. It's not the "oh crap, I don't want to do my homework" moan that you would assume students would make, it's more of a "I agree with what you said/hallelujah" moan. At first it didn't bother me as much. I would hear it during class or chapel and just brush it off, after all, I know whoever moaning has the right to "hallelujah" moan as much as they want. But after a while it started to get to me...

The only time it becomes a real issue is in my Intro to Christian Ministries class. There is this one girl who "hallelujah"moans every 2-5 minutes. At first I thought she was just reassuring the teacher that she was awake, but at this point in the semester I'm convinced that it's a disorder. NO ONE needs to moan like that all the time. Maybe I would understand it better if our professor was preaching about something that was really convicting or powerful, but 98% of the time that is not the case. She is moaning about the history of the baptist church.

You probably think I'm exaggerating, but I assure you, I am not.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... let me ask you this - how loud is this moan? Are we talking under-your-breath moan, or like, an almost yell-ish moan? Mouth open or closed?

Danielle said...

Well it is closed mouth, but definitely not under her breath. She sits in the very front row and I'm in the 4th. There are only like 25 people in the whole class, and I'm pretty positive everyone hears her when she does it.

Anonymous said...

At Antioch, we get much more than moans. But no one does it in class.

And I can't think of anything more boring than Baptist history.