Thursday, November 6, 2008

#2: Old People

Let me start by saying this, I am not typically an emotional person. I have my moments and my breakdowns, but normally, I'm a pretty private person and prefer not to cry in public.

That being said, the one thing that can pretty much make me cry every time without fail is old people. Whether they are sick and dying or being cute with their spouse, old people just get to me.

Example: On Grey's Anatomy (a show I watched for the first time tonight) there was an older couple that was clearly in love. OF COURSE, the wife dies and the husband is left helplessly trying to keep her alive. It was ridiculous...I fell apart.

I just don't understand what it is about Old People! Clearly I'm not the only one that has a soft spot for them since television producers and writers are exploiting this weakness. I just wish they would post some kind of warning when they do stuff like that. It would probably look something like this: "Warning: Excessive Elderly Cuteness/Heart-Wrenching Story About to Rip your Heart Out and Render you Completely Emotionally Drained". That way I would at least know when to leave the room...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

my warning would've read "WARNING: Grey's Anatomy is coming on. You must hate yourself and the rest of the world to want to leave it on this station."

either way, you avoid the breakdown. mine probably saves more lives, though.

Marie said...

old people kinda freak me out... then again i have this unexplained utter fear of becoming old.

i guess this will just be an area we differ in bffae




but i miss you, and i love you nonetheless

Anonymous said...

My family stayed with this older couple last weekend, and there were a bunch of portraits in Molly's room. At some point during the night, she came into my parent's room crying. When they asked what was wrong she said, "there are all these pictures of people in their youth, and now they're probably all dead!" Upon further inspection, they figured out that all the pictures were of the same two people, and those two people were the couple my family was staying with. Not dead, but very alive.

But, I know what you mean. There's this video of Pat Nixon's funeral, and Richard Nixon is crying unconrollably. It gives me chills every time.

But I agree with Jeremy on Grey's.

Danielle said...

I was unaware that Grey's was such a bad thing. Like I said, it was my first time...I guess that's what I get for giving my roommate the remote.

Anonymous said...

get off my brainwave. At least we basically backed each other up, and the fact that we did it by accident is even further proof since we were both inspired to blog about it. Good work

Anonymous said...

Um, correction, Andrew! There were many black and white pictures of already really old people. And it wasn't just because they were old that I cried; I also just got hit with a massive wave of nostalgia. Don't judge me, I was really tired!