Monday, November 10, 2008

#4: Ed Young

For those of you who don't know, Ed Young is a pastor/author/tv mogul in the Metroplex area. He is the head of a very large and "dynamic" church called the Fellowship Church, and last week he was our speaker at chapel. In fact, his church is so popular that it now has around 3 satellite campuses. He's not really my favorite speaker, but I try not to be too critical (especially with our chapel speakers considering he was one of the more entertaining ones).

Anyways, that's all besides the point. What I don't understand about Ed Young and pastors like him, is the need for the "shock and awe" effect. Right now Fellowship Church is starting the Seven Day Sex Challenge where (you guessed it) married couples are supposed to have sex for seven straight days*. This isn't the first time I have heard of challenges like this in these churches, I just don't really understand why they go about it the way they do. Christians are infamous for being prude and closed lip'd about sex, and while that isn't always true, for the most part it is.

I just question the motives behind these "challenges". Is it purely to help strengthen and repair marriages, or is it for publicity? After all, I only learned of this whole shenanigan via the local news. I don't get why some churches have resorted to these gimmicks and attention-grabbers to help pump attendance and enthusiasm...I'm pretty sure the bible speaks for itself. I think that breaking barriers and thinking outside the box is all fine and dandy in theory, I just think that there are other ways pastors could go about this.

Sidenote: I would really like to see the attendance records for the next couple of weeks at that church.



*Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anything about the challenge in and of itself, just the way the church is going about it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I go to Fellowship Church

Anonymous said...

Yeah, me no likey Ed Young, Jr. I like his dad, and Second Baptist. I especially like his brothers (Cliff and Ben).

I don't know what went wrong with this dude. I mean, the 7 straight days of sex isn't anything near as bad as the 30 days of sex challenge done out in California, but it's just as distracting, nonsensical and lame in principle.

Besides that, the messages I've heard of his are light on scripture, heavy on advice. How any pastor can go a sermon without even mentioning Jesus just baffles me sometimes. Jesus is the foundation. How can you tip-toe around that? The Church should be about the Gospel, period.

So yeah, basically, I'm sorry that you had to sit through Ed Young, Jr.

Danielle said...

Ian- Is your church associated with Ed Young's or does it just share the name? And if you are associated with his church, do you guys watch him via satellite?

Andrew- I couldn't agree more. After chapel I was thinking about his message and I was trying to remember if he quoted any scripture to back up his illustration and I couldn't remember if he used any. I think he did, but I couldn't even tell you what book it was from. It was more like he just stuck in a quick reference.

Anonymous said...

yeah... and his voice bugs me.

(i like to pick on the really important things.)

Marie said...

thats an awful lot of sex.