Monday, June 21, 2010

Resting in His Promises

This week in KV (Kids Village) we talked about the parable of the lost sheep, which is probably one of my fave parables (side note: I'm not totally sure it's kosher to have a fave parable, but just go with me on this... I'm also not sure it's okay to use "kosher" and "parable" in that context, but whatevs ;)). This past week had such a clear Gospel-tie-in, that my girls finally started to ask some questions with substance. Which, thankfully, gave me even more of an opportunity to talk explicitly about the Gospel with them, and for some of them to start to finally get it... to understand the beauty, the wonder and the mystery of Jesus' death and resurrection.

So he told them this parable: “What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.’ Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.
Luke 15: 3-7


We talked about The Good Shepard that goes after each one of us and pursues us relentlessly. How he rejoices over each of us, the one sinner that repents. We talked about man's sinful nature, and God's perfect Son. We discussed God's unfailing love and our rebellious nature. All of it culminating in the beautiful picture of the cross.

I am so grateful for these girls and the opportunity I have to share Truth with them every week. But more than that, I'm thankful for the Gospel. For God coming after me, the sheep that was lost, and leading me to repentance.

How deep the Father's love for us/ How vast beyond all measure/ That He should give His only Son/ To make a wretch His treasure...
How Deep the Father's Love for Us- Stuart Townend

1 comment:

Marie said...

Yes! There's something so precious about a childs faith. I just love it. And I'm so glad those girls have you to pour into them. Such a blessing for them and you.

And for the record, I'm totally ok with you having a favorite parable. Ha.

So glad KV has been such a good experience! :)