Thursday, May 13, 2010

Let's talk about Job

Can we just take a second and talk about how awesome Job is? Good.

The other day I was sitting around feeling sorry for myself (let's just say working 40 hours a week all summer while friends and family are hours away hasn't exactly been helping my "outlook")... then I started reading through Job and got to this:


Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head and fell on the ground and worshiped. And he said, “Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord."
Job 1:20-21


Umm whoa. Conviction much? Just in case you didn't get that, Job just had every earthly thing that he cherished taken away (minus his wife... but that's a whole 'notha story ;)) and he responds by saying:


"Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord."


I don't know about you, but I know that when I'm made to be uncomfortable, much less when I'm grieved by something, my first response typically isn't worship. Now, it's not that Job wasn't devastated by the loss of his family and estate (heck, in chapter 3 he curses the day he was born!), but his power lies in his faith and in his knowledge of the Truth.


You clothed me with skin and flesh, and knit me together with bones and sinews. You have granted me life and steadfast love, and your care has preserved my spirit.

Job 10:12



Personally, I know that when I'm feeling sorry for myself or disheartened, it always comes down to a lack of trust. If God is good and does good and wants good, then why be discouraged? It's something I have to constantly remind myself of. I guess that's what I love about Job... he's human but he "gets" it. He worshipped. He didn't accuse or turn away from God, he fell on his knees and worshipped.

1 comment:

Marie said...

Girl, this was so encouraging! Thanks for posting this and reminding all of us to just have faith. I am really praying for the Lord to bless your summer in some great and unexpected ways. And don't fret, we will see eachother! :)