Friday, January 8, 2010

Social Etiquette

I know that there are times when I can be less than charming in public (shocking, I know), but sometimes people's lack of consideration and etiquette just kills me! I don't know all the ins and outs of social etiquette, but there are a few things I'm pretty passionate about...

1. Men/boys/guys should always hold the door open for girls/women/chicks.

2. When in a public area, try not to talk loudly on your cell phone... ESPECIALLY if you are using profanities.

3. If you must use your cell phone in a crowded place, you should not use a bluetooth headpiece, speaker phone, or that weird walky-talky feature some phones have.

4. Under no circumstances is it EVER okay to use your cell phone in a public restroom.

5. If you're staring at someone, and they catch you staring, the polite thing to do is look away. To keep staring like it's a "staring contest" is just awkward.

6. Boys should never "holler" at girls they don't know. It's gross and uncomfortable.

7. Burping/farting/etc. should be kept to a minimum in public/mixed company*.

8. Always avoid taking the stall/urinal right next to someone if you can help it.

9. Avoid annoying eating and drinking habits (aka slurping, smacking, talking with your mouth full).

10. Always be polite. If you bump into someone, say excuse me. If someone gives you something, say thank you.



* There may or may not be a few instances where I may or may not have burped in public. Try not to hold it against me... I'm a new woman ;)

4 comments:

Marie said...

Hahahaha. Yeah...sterle will make you do dishes ;)

But I agree about all of these! Especially the first one. All boys need to get that through their heads. Haha

funny post! I enjoyed it!

Andrew said...

I don't understand #1. Don't get me wrong, I do it (I hold the door open for men, too), but I don't understand it. I don't know who made the rule up, or where it came from, but it seems to defy rationality, unless the boy is trying to woo the girl, in which case, of course he'll hold the door open.

Andrew said...

Also, on number 1, you emphasized the word "always," but where's the line? How many feet away does a person have to be to justify me letting the door close?

How close to a closing door do I have to be to justify my considering a girl rude for letting it slide?

Danielle said...

Andrew-

I think it basically just comes down to the whole idea behind it. Being considerate and acknowledging that as a man you are going out of your way to open the door for a female(kind of goes with the idea that guys should protect/lead/etc in a VERY mild way).

Girl's like to be cared for/acknowledged/respected, and I think this is one of the easiest way for guys to do that. At the very least it's just a considerate action.

Even if a guy isn't trying to woo the girl, it's still a nice gesture, and it doesn't go unnoticed.

Oh, and I wasn't trying to be all legalistic about it. If the girl is 50 paces behind you or something you don't have to stand there and wait. It's pretty much just a judgment call at that point. As long as you don't slam the door in her face she probably won't care.