Sunday, January 17, 2010

Leadership

This last week I took a mini called Principles of Biblical Leadership. When I signed up for the class I had NO idea what to expect...seriously, there wasn't even a course description online. But it ended up being one of my favorite classes I've taken so far! My professor was this precious 68 year old man who was such a great encourager and just an all around great guy (ex. he brought us breakfast each morning and spent time talking to each of us individually about our lives, spiritual walk, etc). During the class we took quite a few personality profile tests, a spiritual gifts assessment and our conflict style test...

This is what I learned about myself:
  • I'm a lion/otter mix...meaning I'm assertive, task-oriented and a people person.
  • My spiritual gifts are leadership and pastoring/sheperding...I think the pastoring/sheperding has more to do with the fact that I big into discipleship and I care about people's spiritual health.
  • In conflict situations I'm a persuader/collaborater...this one is pretty self-explanatory. Basically, I just want to convince people I'm right and if I can't do that I want for us both to be partially right.

The really strange thing about taking all these profiles/tests was that on every single one of them I ended up having two things tied for first.

This class was by far the smallest I've been in (there were only 9 of us), and I was the only college aged girl...plus we had 4 adult students that were really tight. Since our class was so small (and since our professor was so awesome), the entire week was extremely discussion oriented. We had a really broad range of people and personality types, so it made for some very interesting/enlightening class discussions. Also, one of the older women reminded me of my mom and apparently I reminded her of her oldest daughter, so that was presh.

A couple of times during the week my professor insisted that I set aside a time to meet with him and a few other prof's from the masters program so they can talk with me and brainstorm about my future and just pray with me (gotta love these small Baptist schools). It was really encouraging, and I'm really excited to meet with them and talk about different ministry possibilities.

Anyway, that's been my life these past few days. I'm ready to get back in the routine of the regular semester, but I'm not looking forward to my classes this semester...it'll be my first semester without a religion class. Bleh. Other than that, life is good, sleep is great and God is better. The end.

P.S. For those of you that care, Matt started up The Path series again. It's got to be one of my favorite sermon series of all time, so I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

Marie said...

I'm so happy for you about that class. :) glad it was such a good experience.

And I agree. The path series has been great. I haven't listened to the last one yet...but the others have been a heavy mixture of encouragement/conviction/challenges to change. Thanks for making the suggestion!